Passenger's Rights

easy to read logo

 Easy to read:

 Your rights when you travel

EU citizens or residents in the EU have a right to

Read more about these rights below


person in a wheelchair holding up a card with person helping them

Persons with disabilities or reduced mobility have the right to assistance free of charge in air, rail; coach; and boat travel.

  • You have this right even if your disability is not immediately obvious to other people.
  • Pre-booking your assistance is not obligatory but it is recommended to give a 48 hour notice for air, train and boat travel, and a 36 hour notice for coach travel to ensure that assistance is ready and to avoid long waiting times.
  • If you do not pre-book, the carrier (example: the train company) must make “reasonable efforts” to assist.
  • You cannot be refused reservation or boarding based on disability, unless it is for “safety reasons” or the hold of the vehicle is too small to fit mobility equipment.
  • They are not allowed to ask for a proof of disability.

When you travel by coach or boat, you are entitled to travel with an accompanying person of your choice free of charge if the carrier obliges you to be accompanied for “safety reasons” and would otherwise not let you travel. This means that this person, which you choose yourself, will not have to pay to accompany you.

Compensation for delayed, denied, or cancelled travel

man gesturing notransportation icons

Air travel

If you are denied boarding, face delays of over 3 hours, or your flight is cancelled or overbooked, you can choose between being taken to your destination through different means (example: another flight connection) or having your ticket refunded, unless the cause of the delay or cancellation was outside the control of the air company. You may be entitled to compensation of between 250 euro to 600 euro – under certain conditions and depending on the distance of the flight. 

Rail Travel

If your train is delayed by more than 1 hour, you have the choice between a ticket refund, continuing your journey on the same train, or alternative transport to your destination. If you choose to stay on the train, you are entitled to compensation – either 25% or 50% of the cost of your ticket, depending on the length of the delay – unless the cause of the delay was outside the control of the railway.

Coach Travel

If the long-distance service (more than 250km) you are booked for is cancelled or departure is delayed for more than 2 hours, you can get a refund for your ticket or you can be transported to your destination at the earliest opportunity, and at no extra cost. If you are not offered this choice at the time, you can later complain and claim a refund for the ticket, plus compensation worth 50% of the ticket price.

Boat Travel (except cruises and lesiures boats)

If the service is cancelled or departure is delayed for more than 90 minutes, you can either get a refund for your ticket and where necessary a free return journey back to your initial departure point, or you can be transported to your destination at the earliest opportunity, and at no extra cost. If your trip’s arrival at the destination is delayed by more than 1 hour, you are entitled to compensation (25% – 50%).

For all four modes of transport, you may also be entitled to refreshments, meals, communications (such as free phone calls) and an overnight stay, depending on the travel distance and length of delay. For more information, please visit Your Europe – Passengers’ Rights.

National Enforcement Bodies (NEB) have been established to support passengers claim their rights. Passengers can contact the NEBs if they have problems while traveling by air, train, coach, or boat, or if the companies fail to reply when the passenger has lodged a complaint. 

EU Parking Card for People with Disabilities

EU parking card for persons with disabilities

If you have a disability that leads to reduced mobility, you might be entitled to a disability parking card, which should be recognised in all EU countries.

This EU parking card will give you access to a number of parking rights and facilities depending on the country you are visiting.

You should get your parking card from the relevant authority in the country you live in.

You should display the card in a prominent place at the front of the vehicle.

Additionally, when using your card in another EU country, you may display the free-standing notice next to it, showing the side with the language(s) spoken in the country you are visiting.

Back to Your Rights in the EU page